xgibbousx | Profile
I run OC Web Kings and we do custom website and mobile app development.
I think traditional business plans can be dangerous and I personally don’t use them. Many people tend to use business plans as a method of procrastination (i.e. it’s easy to just write down the plan than to actually execute it). Traditional business plans tend to be massive with a lot of predictions and can become intimidating to execute.
With that said, I think you should just plan out the next week or month of your business. Set a goal and write a small strategy of how you are going to achieve it. Then, start executing the next day.
1. Google’s search engine algorithm looks at how many like and shares you are getting. If you get a lot of likes and shares, Google ranks your associated website higher in organic search results thereby getting you a ton of free, highly targeted business leads.
2. Potential clients will go to your social media to “check you out”. If you have a lot of activity and great content, they will see you as a higher quality/active offering and be more inclined to by from you.
Here’s a pretty good strategy:
1. Write a catchy song on your instrument of choice.
2. Record a video of yourself playing it.
3. Make a YouTube channel and post your catchy song video there.
4. Share your video with your “close” family and friends by phone and email.
5. Share your video on Facebook with your “other” family and friends.
6. Start contributing to some online music forums (e.g. answer questions, post interesting tips, etc.)
7. After a dozen or so non self-promoting forum posts: create a new forum thread, post a link to your catchy song video, and ask for feedback.
8. Repeat steps 1 through 8 until you get a good YouTube following/subscriber base.
9. Become an official YouTube partner and start getting paid for the views on all your channel’s catchy song videos.
10. Start playing some live shows in your area with your collection of songs you created.
12. Create a website and promote it to your YouTube followers in your videos.
12. Have a contact link on your website.
13. Record labels will start to contact you.
14. Sign a record deal.
Somewhere on the path above you will earn a million dollars.
I think the best way to cost effectively advertise your service is as follows:
1. Make your own WordPress website that explains what you do, your unique selling propositions, the benefits of working with you, quotes from your previous customers, a call to action (e.g. get a free quote), and a contact form. You should also try to offer something of value (e.g. an ebook) in exchange for their name and email address.
2. Make sure the website SEO is dialed in. See http://www.askbrien.com/questions-and-answers/traffic/.
3. Advertise on any of the free platforms. One of the best ones is Craigslist. The key to advertising on Craigslist is to do it twice a day every day for the life of your business. Never miss a post, never miss a day no matter how long it seems you have been doing it without a result. I have gotten a lot of huge deals through Craigslist by just being persistent.
I think you should give as many paid holidays as possible. If you did 10 last year (and everything worked out fine), then I would offer 15 this year with 5 of them floating. You may find that the extra paid holidays actually increase employee productivity due to higher morale and satisfaction. I would then keep increasing the paid holidays every year until you see a drop in productivity or team coordination issues.
Regarding the team not being all together sometimes: this is a problem all teams face and they need to learn how to redistribute work load in these circumstances. I have always found that work can very easily be redistributed and our fear of not having the team fully intact is usually over blown. Once you get this down, it’s nice to know that people can leave and the team productivity doesn’t screech to a halt.